The activities of the Society are governed by a Council, elected to serve for two congresses. Elections to executive positions and to Council are therefore held at every other Congress. The Council consists of a President, a Secretary-Treasurer and seven other members. The prestigious Journal of West African Languages (JWAL) is the flagship of the Society. The Editor of JWAL sits in Council just all Presidents of Country Linguistic Associations are also members of Council.
The Council Members
- Professor Constantine Yuka; University of Benin Benin-City, Nigeria: President
- Dr. SILUÉ N. Jibril; Feleix Houphouet Boigny University Abidjan, Cote D’Ivoire: Secretary-Treasurer
- Professor Firmin Ahoua; Feleix Houphouet Boigny University Abidjan, Cote D’Ivoire (Immediate Past President)
- Professor Akinbiyi Akinlabi; Rutgers State University, USA.
- Professor Lynell Zogbo; University of Free State, Cote D’Ivoire.
- Professor Ben Elugbe; University of Ibadan.
- Professor Adams Bodomo; University of Vienna, Austria. (Editor of the Journal of West African Languages (JWAL))
- Professor Harrison Adeniyi; Lagos State University, Lagos Nigeria
- Professor Flavien Gbeto, L’Université d’Abomey-Calavi, Calavi, République du Benin
- Professor Ahmed Haliru Amfani, Usmanu Danfodiyo University Sokoto, Sokoto State, Nigeria
- Professor Francis Egbokhare; University of Ibadan.
- Professor Imelda Udoh; University of Uyo, Uyo: President of the Linguistic Association of Nigeria.
- Professor Greg Obiamalu, Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Akwa, Nigeria.